Note that the legend for the picture of Conant’s house is incorrect. Conant was never actually referred to as a governor since Mass. Bay Colony did not officially exist before 1630.
From Roger Conant on Cape Ann, Part III: Conant at Naumkeag and Salem Village By Mary Ellen Lepionka, February 2020
They disassembled their meetinghouse on Fisherman’s Field and carried the framing timbers and boards to Salem Village, where it was re-erected as Roger Conant’s dwelling place.Legend has it that in 1628 the structure was disassembled again and carried across the Danvers River to Salem as a temporary residence for John Endecott (Endicott), who was sent to relieve Conant as governor of Rev. John White’s New England Company.
In 1629 the New England Company morphed into the Massachusetts Bay Company, and in 1630 the Company sent John Winthrop to replace Endicott as governor.
In 1630 Roger Conant was made a freeman and a voting stockholder of the Massachusetts Bay Company . The next year he left Salem to form a trading company with Peter Palfrey and others. That enterprise established, Conant returned to become a key figure in the new government, representing Salem in the General Court. He was several times elected Selectman, served on the juries of quarterly courts and courts of assistants, and oversaw surveys establishing the boundaries of land grants and towns